How can Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine Help with Fertility?
Traditional Chinese medicine is based on the fundamental idea that every element of the body is interconnected, and in order to address a disturbance in this “ecosystem” it is essential to treat the entire system rather than just one part. The health of the reproductive system is based on this same concept; people are not made up of an isolated hormone or organ, but instead depend on dynamic systems to work in a balanced manner for health and fertility to occur. This system of medicine is focused on improving a couple’s overall health and balance, thereby increasing fertility in order for pregnancy to occur naturally. Treatments are based on identifying the underlying imbalances or blockages in the body that are causing the reproductive system to function incorrectly. These treatments include acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, diet and lifestyle changes, and mind-body relaxation methods.
How Does Traditional Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture Enhance Fertility?
The first and primary goal of traditional Chinese medicine is to enhance and balance your body’s overall health and well-being; this allows the inborn ability of conception to take place. A healthy, more balanced body will conceive more naturally. Some of the other benefits of acupuncture and fertility include:
- Regulating menstrual cycles (amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, irregular cycles, premenstrual syndrome, imbalanced follicular or luteal phases)
- Reducing stress and increasing relaxation
- Improves ovarian function; encourages production of follicles; enhances their quality
- Improves blood flow to ovaries and uterus
- Enhances immune system
- Lessens uterine contractions after embryo transfer
- Improves thickness of uterine wall lining
- Lessens side effects from hormone treatments
- Improves sperm counts, motility and morphology
- Improves quality of oocytes
- Reduces miscarriages and improves live birth rate